I couldn’t get much sleep last night. Yes, it’s my birthday. Yes, I hosted a radioshow yesterday after a long time being away from behind the studiomic. Yes, friends and family already sent me sweet messages right after 12:01am. Adrenaline. I am excited. I am not really a guy who keeps several lists with specific data. But this is my birthday and I will make an exception. If you think you know me, here’s even more…
- Today is my 34th birthday and I am making a list.
- My best childhood memory is horsebackriding with my father everytime he got home from work.
- Yesterday I felt like a 12 year old, excited for his birthday.
- I have been keeping a journal ever since I was 14.
- I got contactlenses when I was 18. A whole new world.
- My first band Anne-Marie was a skate-punk-garage-NYC hardcore band. Guitar.
- I’ve been to Maluku, my mothersland, for several times. Homecoming.
- I love the magic of travelling solo.
- I get excited when I’m busy with radio, writing, photography and music. Random order.
- I started working as an editor for Veronica Magazine when I was 19.
- Besides Dutch, I also speak my mothers language fluently. Which is Bahasa Malayu-Maluku. I had great conversations with my grandparents.
- 12 years old. Everybody was in love with the most beautiful girl in school. So was I.
- I am not telling you everything. Perhaps later on. Lucky you.
- I became program leader for a national radio station at age 26.
- Between 2004 and 2009, I worked for national television, radio and print media.
- I had a great time working as a photographer in New York City, USA.
- Being a teacher and coaching young people is a great job. I enjoy this.
- I enjoy playing music. Since my father plays violin, I started to learn and play that instrument too. I play keys, bass, guitar, ukulele, violin and I love to sing. Karaoke too.
- Once I travelled with my brother Joshua. We didn’t had a plan and took the train. We ended up in Cologne, Basel, Zürich, Chiasso, Genova, Milan, Rome (Almost Pisa), Marseille, Barcelona, Girona, hitchhiking to Perpignan, Paris, Brussels and back to Rotterdam.
- I am glad this is a 34 list. I love to share experiences.
- I once travelled in an old Mercedes to the south of Morocco. Sat on a camel and watched sunset with the Atlas mountains in the horizon. Tea in the Sahara.
- I had a beard at age 22.
- Point guard. The best position in my favorite sport. Basketball. My personal record is 10 threepointers in one game. I was on fire. And 17.
- Once in a while I get my basketball and work the court. Street Style.
- No money, but making an awardwinning motion picture. I did it.
- I love gadgets and I am a nerd.
- Photography. I don’t care how expensive the camera is. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
- I do more than I think. I do more than I think I do.
- I know to live with less than nothing. I am free.
- I am my pen. I am my eyes. I am my voice.
- I love my parents. I cherish every moment with them.
- I have a soulmate. He is seven years younger. And my advisor. My brother Joshua.
- I love you. Everytime I said it, I meant it.
- I am 34. I feel blessed.